Sometimes there’s a mashup that doesn’t make sense on first glance but ends up making a whole lot of sense once you dive deeper. The new Game of Thrones Monopoly game is one of those mashups. While there may not be many swords or shields breaking within this game there are certainly banks and pocketbooks (the real power behind the throne anyway). We had the chance to play the Game of Thrones Monopoly Game early and have put together a small review for your pleasure. We were super excited when it arrived in the mail last week:
You can pick up your own copy now for under $50 on Amazon Prime.
Featuring custom Game of Thrones packaging, stunning game design, and large, hand-sculpted custom tokens, the MONOPOLY: Game of Thrones Collector’s Edition Game will transport fans into a world of intrigue, valor, and betrayal. After all, when you play the MONOPOLY: Game of Thrones Collector’s Edition Game you win, or you go bankrupt! Here are some of the features:
Straight from the Iron Bank: Game of Thrones MONOPOLY money features the symbols of Westeros and Essos.
- The traditional MONOPOLY “Chance” and “Community Chest” cards are transformed into “Valar Morghulis” and “The Iron Throne” cards and include directives both fair and foul.
- Traditional Houses and Hotels are transformed into Custom Villages and Keeps.
- Fans will enjoy opening the elegant black linen paper wrapped box with silver foil-stamped house sigils including Lannister, Stark, Targaryen, and Baratheon.
- Game of Thrones art covers the inside of the box and a custom tray holds each game piece.
- An elegant, rolled scroll secured with a ribbon contains the rules.
We had a chance to play the game ourselves and there are a few things that are great:
- The metal pieces are very nice, heavy and interesting. Great quality!
- In fact ALL of the pieces are of decent quality
- All of the locations feel “right” and as book readers, we didn’t notice any mistakes as far as lore goes
- The game plays EXACTLY the same as Monopoly so there’s no learning curve
- The rules come in a SCROLL with a ribbon (no wax seal, sorry)
There were a couple of things that could be improved, though:
- The fonts on properties around the board and on property cards is VERY difficult to read. Could go for some brightening.
- Some of the “Chance/Community Chest” cards don’t make sense (You’ve hired some Unsullied soldiers.. collect money?)
- The Go, Jail and Free Parking spaces aren’t stylized at all. They’re classic Monopoly still. Kinda throws off the feeling of immersion.
We’d give this game a solid 9 out of 10 Golden Dragons! The complaints are minor and it didn’t stop us from having a great time. We all felt like Littlefinger and/or the Iron Bank trying to solidify our coffers and Houses before winter comes… or something.
Grab a copy of the Collector’s Edition before it’s gone! It’s something to do while waiting for the Game of Thrones season 6 premiere.