There’s only a few hours left until the premiere and I’m positive I’m not the only Truebie sitting on the edge of my seat and staring at my clock in anticipation. Why does time always seem to move so much slower on these days? In preparation, I’ve been wracking my brain for a few of the things I would love to see in this upcoming season. Having those expectations might result in disappointment but after last season, I have restored faith that writers will satisfy us with each bite. Here are just a few of them:
- More badass single Sookie. One of my favorite parts of Season 5 was the fact that we finally stepped away from the main triangle and were able to see Sookie as a single woman for the first time since the show’s premiere. For so long, fans were burdened by this love-sick character who had no real concept of her own identity outside of being claimed by a vampire. Last season, however, writers began to explore her fae ancestry and the murder of her parents which led to a deeper dynamic to a seemingly flat character. I want more than anything to see her continue to flourish and fall in love with herself.
- The epic ship [relationship for those not hip to the lingo] of Tara and Pam. The relationship between these two came out of nowhere and I couldn’t be more excited about it. I’m a big fan of shows incorporating same-sex relationships in a way that approaches it as a completely natural occurrence because in 2013, it really is. The collision of two stubborn, head-strong, and powerful women is one of the most interesting things to watch and I can’t wait to see the relationship progress.
- Jason to become something other than a boy-toy. We all know that almost every storyline the character has had since the show’s premiere has been revolving around some female (or Steve Newlin) using him. There was minor redemption when it came to the relationship he had with Jessica but that seemed to be very short-lived and I doubt the writers will delve more into it this season after Jason’s recent experiences with vampires. I’m pretty interested to see the “vampire hunter” side of Jason and hope it gives his character some more depth as opposed to just using Ryan Kwantan’s talents as an attractive male who remains shirtless the entire episode (not that I’m necessarily complaining about that but you know what I mean).
- A continuation of the interesting secondary storylines that we saw last season. Though the whole fire demon stalking Terry thing was a little blah for my taste, I still loved seeing so much of his relationship with Arlene and they way the writers continue to delve into his PTSD (which is a topic not a lot of shows have the guts to approach). Each scene with Sam and Luna in Season 5 easily climbed the ranks of my favorite scene of the season. I love the relationship they’ve built and the link that Luna brings between the Shifters and the Werewolves. Luna surviving through the premiere is one of my highest hopes because I feel like that storyline has so much more potential than most people think.
- More exploration of Nora and Eric’s past. Despite the slight incestuous thing they have going on, I love looking more into Eric’s character. His relationship with Godric was one of my favorite dynamics in the show and now he has an opportunity to show us something similar with Nora.
- The death of Billith. Because really, I can’t stand Bill as a normal character. Making him a hybrid with some vampire goddess is just pushing it. Off with his head!
- Alcide, Pack Master. Alcide is probably one of my favorite secondary characters (even more so now that he’s no longer pining after Sookie and focused on the wolves). I love the idea of him in charge of his own pack because we so often see him struggling awkwardly in social settings. Though I am kind of cringing at the thought of the writers having him get addicted to V (which is merely just a prediction and not a spoiler). I could just seem them doing it for the shock value after he watched Debbie ruin everything in their lives because of her addiction.
- More Hoyt and Layfette. Hoyt’s adorable and I love him. And as much as watching him offer himself up as a living blood bag to any skanky vampire that comes his way breaks my heart, I have to see more. Call it the masochist in me. As far as Layfette, he’s my favorite character of all time. He brings comic relief at the perfect times and I can’t wait to hear more of his quips this season.
- A main character to actually die (and not be brought back in some way or another). I know that sounds terrible. But it’s already been confirmed that a main character WILL die this season and so this is my way of mentally preparing myself of the trauma. Major character deaths have the power to make or break a show and it’s just a matter of time of us to see if that’s what’s going to happen for True Blood. Either way, since the show is moving towards the darker theme of war, it’s only natural for someone major to bite the dust. The fans would be complaining if someone didn’t (just as we surely will when that someone actually dies.)
- The war to continue. This might just be my favorite overall plot introduced so far. It’s only natural for the humans and the supernatural to clash and I’m so excited to witness it. Though I may be crossing all my fingers and toes that they give it the justice that it deserves. That means lots of blood, lots of tears, and some serious angst for all of Trubies.
So there are my top predictions for Season Six. I only expect maybe one of them to actually work out the way it should in my head but that’s part of the life of a dedicated TV watcher.
Here’s a bit of a preview for what’s to come this summer:
What are you hoping to see this season? And more importantly, which character do you think won’t make the cut?